I can investigate for you whether a business process is effective and efficient
• What process steps exist? What exceptions are there?
• At what process steps do errors occur? What steps take a lot of idle time?
• Is the data required to conduct a process step available on time and of the right quality? Why not?
To answer these questions, I will first need a reference, a ruler: what are your goals towards the process? What is the business case to change the process?
After this, I’ll consult with your stakeholders; with managers, with people directly and indirectly involved. I will draw up your current process, visualize it with a model, for example with Data Flow Diagrams. I find simplicity and connection important, a main model should not exceed one A4 sheet. But of course, layers of more details can be added to the model when required. I will use the model as a reference point, for verification and to refine as far as required, together with the involved parties.
Future business process
Based on the current business process and your goals for change, I can draw up a future business process. And I can clarify how automation, software, can be applied to support the future business process.
Participation and commitment of the involved parties are the most critical success factors here. When the involved parties do not agree on the future process, the whole exercise is unlikely to accomplish its goals. I’m very experienced in bringing together conflicting interests and reaching end results that satisfy all involved parties.
Implementation of the future process
If the lights are green, the future process will need to be implemented. In some cases this can be as straightforward as adding some fields to a form or orally instruct a process operator. In other cases a plan needs to be drawn up integrating all aspects, such as changed working procedures, training, dependencies, time schedules and migrations. In even other cases, the new process is only enabled by the implementation of software, so these two are connected.
In all these cases I can help you. I have vast experience in planning and coordinating change processes.
Impact on software and systems
As already briefly touched: a large efficiency and effectiveness enabler is automated support of business process in the shape of software. My main expertise is tailor made software development, I have 15+ years of experience in this. This is what I can and can’t help you with:
• Yes: Conduct a functional impact analysis
• No: Conduct a technical impact analysis
• Yes: Gather and analyze the requirements the software should fulfill
• Yes: Design simple, effective and efficient software solutions
• No: Build software. I used to also develop software, but nowadays I will have to leave this to dedicated experts
• Yes: Set up acceptance criteria for the software
• No: Test the software. Although I hold a TMAP certification, this is not my cup of tea.
• Yes: Guide and mobilize involved parties in acceptance testing
• Yes: Implement the software in your organization; construct manuals, construct and give training
• Yes: Coordinate or manage your complete project